Tuesday 6 December 2016

I Write Because...

This particular post was inspired by Laurie Azzi because her post about writing inspired me to express my own passion of why I like to write. This post was in response to her beautiful and articulate post on writing and her thoughts reminded me of why I liked writing in the first place.

I really admire the deep passion that she has for writing. It is great to know that there are still a lot of people that genuinely like to write recreationally. I feel as though her and I are quite similar in a lot of ways. I actually started writing when I was around eight or nine and I used to write stories and entries on my life. I was a bit melodramatic and thought my life to be a lot more interesting because of my extravagant friends and family. I also had a big imagination. Whenever my family and I would go places, my mind would drift and wonder and the stories would come naturally. I was able to put my mind in each character and completely feel every emotion and words that the characters were supposed to feel. Of course my writing changed drastically from when I was nine to the time I turned sixteen because the topics that I was interested in were different. In high school, my English teacher actually was the person that made me realize that my writing was actually better than I thought. When I used to write, I would only write for me and it was a way for me to relieve stress and anxiety and actually be someone I wasn’t for a while. I would create characters for stories or write diary entries of my day or my thoughts and it would just be a way to privately get everything off my chest. So when my high school teacher had the class write a short story on anything we wanted, my mind of course wondered. I remember writing a short story on a boy that I had a crush on in my school but I altered the story by changing the names and adding characters and changing the scene. Handing in that short story was one of the hardest things I had to do because it was making something personal public. When I received the paper back, I had gotten perfect and a little note from my teacher telling me that I should continue writing. That was the best thing someone could ever say to me because it really made me feel confident about my writing.

There was a part where Laurie mentioned that writing forces you to look deeper into yourself and analyze the person that you have become today. I personally find that writing is a very out of the body experience. It really gives you a chance to self-discover and reflect on personal events in your life. I definitely agree with you when you say that you can only write about topics that are true to your heart and that touch you deeply. I feel as though that is the only way my writing comes out the best. I find that my biggest struggle is writers block. I find that I have writers block whenever I cannot relate to the topic that I am writing about or I am not inspired. Do you often find yourself in that same predicament? I have heard of people saying to leave what you are writing, clear your head and come back but that usually does not work for me. There is a website called buzz feed and it had a link on twenty-two Tumblr posts that will make writers laugh and it really does help with freeing up your mind and having funny relatable memes that writers can understand. Click the word "buzz feed" in case anyone wants to have a little laugh anytime you feel stuck writing. Her blog post is very motivating and her desire for writing is clearly shown through her post. Hope you enjoyed the read from a passionate writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment